Wednesday, June 3, 2009

New York Style Cheesecake

Let me begin by stating that I am a Huge fan of New York but I have never been a big fan of cheesecakes. I LOVE cheese and I love Cakes but not together. I know there is no such thing as a cheesecake gene because both of my parents Love Cheesecake. They are notorious for bringing home huge Costco cheesecakes at any time, any day.  All that said, I Loved this cheesecake (Maybe it's a recessive gene). It is like no other cheesecake I have ever tasted before. Very smooth and even though it takes 7 packages of cream cheese to make, it does not taste cheesy. I loved the chocolate crust (note: I have heard my mother continuously complain  on the thinness of cheesecake crusts and why they have to be so stingy. I took this opportunity to make her wish come true and use the whole cookie recipe for the crust instead of half. It was Christmas in June for my mom). I forgot to freeze the crust and baked it for 23 minutes on a baking sheet.  I bought a Walmart disposable roasting pan ($3) and filled it with boiling water with the cheesecake inside. Note: This is a two man job. I could not have done it without the help of BF. It is very heavy! It baked at 350 for 45 minutes and 325 for 40 minutes. I then turned off the oven and left the door ajar for 1 hour (This is not fun to do on a Hot summer day).  After it cooled on the rack (out of the roasting pan) I refrigerated it over night.
My BF who also loves cheesecake said it was the "best damn cheesecake he has ever had!". CG and her husband loved it.  My BFF and the person she has been dating for the past four months also said it is one of their favorites.  My parents said it was better than Costcos' which is a big compliment coming from them. Even the kids loved it.  If I knew how much I and everyone else would love it I would have bought a real roasting pan!

105 to Go!

2 comments:

בצק אלים said...

love your photos!
sometimes you forget to write how well it turned out, though! :)

eatamarthacupcake said...

For someone who does not like cheesecake, I found myself hiding the last bite from Scott. Awesome. I prepared it, followed your tips and what a disaster! It just deflated! You should not be running around town doing errands when you have a cheesecake in your car.