Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dobos Torte




HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY BF! I LOVE YOU!
This Hungarian Cake originally had 5 layers (Leave it to Martha to make it with 9). I thought the cakes were not thick enough to cut in 3 so I cut them each in half and ended up with 6 beautiful layers.  The original cake also calls for a coating of caramel on top to keep the cake from drying out (Martha's version had tooth cutting caramel dots). As you know, Caramel is my Nemesis and I did not want to get in a bad mood on my BF's birthday.  The Cake uses basic ingredients which remind me why I love to bake. The recipe was straightforward and baked for 28 minutes. I let them cool in the pan on wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting and letting them cool completely. I have had plenty of practice making Martha's Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream (Sometimes I dream of the day I can just make buttercream with butter, sugar, and vanilla extract like most of the world without having to whip egg whites over simmering waters vigilant of a candy thermometer registering 160 degrees. Then when the cake is done I remember how worth all of it is for the fluffy, light frosting) so it was literally all smooth sailing. I was so excited to make my own whipped cream for the first time (Before today I thought it was done like  Willy Wonka whipping cows!) I used Guirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet morsels for the frosting. (Secret ingredient: Lots of Love). 
My favorite cake so far (Coconut coming a close second).
Simple but Elegant.
Only the Best for the Best BF on his Birthday!

106 to Go!

1 comment:

eatamarthacupcake said...

What a beautiful cake! It just tasted expensive, looked expensive and probably would be very expensive if sold in a bakery or restaurant. I prepared the frosting and just fell in love- gorgeous color, taste, texture. I agree this is my favorite cake too!